On 2014-02-27 02:45, yongli he wrote:

> refer to :
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Translations [1]
>
> now some exception use _ and some not. the wiki suggest do not to do that.
> but i'm not sure.
>
> what's the correct way?
>
> F.Y.I
>
> WHAT TO TRANSLATE
>
> At present the convention is to translate _all_ user-facing strings. This
> means API messages, CLI responses, documentation, help text, etc.
>
> There has been a lack of consensus about the translation of log messages; the
> current ruling is that while it is not against policy to mark log messages
> for translation if your project feels strongly about it, translating log
> messages is not actively encouraged.
>
> Exception text should _not_ be marked for translation, becuase if an
> exception occurs there is no guarantee that the translation machinery will be
> functional.
>
> Regards
> Yongli He

Interestingly, although that is very clear that we should not translate
exceptions, we do anyway in many (most?) OpenStack projects. For the
time being I would say go with whatever the project you're contributing
to does, but it's a discussion we may need to have since the reasoning
on the wiki page seems sound to me, especially now that lazy translation
makes the translation mechanism so much more complicated.

-Ben

Links:
------
[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Translations