Hi,

there's one step in cloud initialization that is performed over SSH -- calling "keystone-manage pki_setup". Here's the relevant code in keystone-init [1], here's a review for moving the functionality to os-cloud-config [2].

The consequence of this is that Tuskar will need passwordless ssh key to access overcloud controller. I consider this suboptimal for two reasons:

* It creates another security concern.

* AFAIK nova is only capable of injecting one public SSH key into authorized_keys on the deployed machine, which means we can either give it Tuskar's public key and allow Tuskar to initialize overcloud, or we can give it admin's custom public key and allow admin to ssh into overcloud, but not both. (Please correct me if i'm mistaken.) We could probably work around this issue by having Tuskar do the user key injection as part of os-cloud-config, but it's a bit clumsy.

This goes outside the scope of my current knowledge, i'm hoping someone knows the answer: Could pki_setup be run by combining powers of Heat and os-config-refresh? (I presume there's some reason why we're not doing this already.) I think it would help us a good bit if we could avoid having to SSH from Tuskar to overcloud.

Thanks

Jirka

[1] https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-incubator/blob/4e2e8de41ba91a5699ea4eb9091f6ef4c95cf0ce/scripts/init-keystone#L85-L86
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/78148/