On 03/26/2014 10:47 AM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
Personally I view this as a bug. There is no reason why we shouldn’t
support arbitrary grouping of zones. I know there is at least one
problem with zones that overlap regarding displaying them properly:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1277230

There's also this bug that I reported a while back, where nova will let you specify multiple host aggregates with the same zone name.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1213224

If the end user then specifies the availability zone for an instance, it is unspecified which aggregate will be used.

There is probably a related issue that is causing the error you see
below. IMO both of these should be fixed. I also think adding a compute
node to two different aggregates with azs should be allowed.

It also might be nice to support specifying multiple zones in the launch
command in these models. This would allow you to limit booting to an
intersection of two overlapping zones.

Totally agree. I actually mention both of these cases in the comments for the bug above.

Chris