Lars Kellogg-Stedman <l...@redhat.com> wrote on 03/31/2014 01:31:57 PM:

> ... you could add an explicit route to the metadata
> address via your default gateway....

Yes, and there are other work-arounds possible too.  I posted here because
I was concerned there may be a bug that needs fixing.

> Why are you installing avahi-autoipd in your cloud instance?  ...

I did not explicitly ask for avahi-autoipd; it came as a consequence of
installing xubuntu-desktop.

BTW, I mis-identified some things in my original post.  The cloud was not
a recent DevStack install of the latest code; it was a non-DevStack
install of Havana done a few months ago.

I tested again with a cloud that *is* a recent DevStack install of the
latest code, and used that to make an instance of
http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/precise/20140331/precise-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk1.img

--- and in this case the extra route added by avahi-autoipd does *not*
break routing to 169.254.169.254 !