Hi folks,

There are two problems we should address regarding the growth and change to the HOT specification.

First our +2/+A process for normal changes doesn't totally make sense for hot_spec.rst. We generally have some informal bar for controversial changes (of which changes to hot_spec.rst is generally considered:). I would suggest raising the bar on hot_spec.rst to at-least what is required for a heat-core team addition (currently 5 approval votes). This gives folks plenty of time to review and make sure the heat core team is committed to the changes, rather then a very small 2 member subset. Of course a -2 vote from any heat-core would terminate the review as usual.

Second, There is a window where we say "hey we want this sweet new functionality" yet it remains "unimplemented". I suggest we create some special tag for these intrinsics/sections/features, so folks know they are unimplemented and NOT officially part of the specification until that is the case.

We can call this tag something simple like "*standardization_pending_implementation* for each section which is unimplemented. A review which proposes this semantic is here:
https://review.openstack.org/85610

My goal is not to add more review work to people's time, but I really believe any changes to the HOT specification have a profound impact on all things Heat, and we should take special care when considering these changes.

Thoughts or concerns?

Regards,
-steve