On 09/04/14 19:20, Kevin Benton wrote:
 >is definitely broken as far as I can tell, because you have to give up
dynamic allocation of IP addresses to use it

What do you mean you have to give up dynamic allocation of IP addresses?
A user is never required to enter an IP address for a port if they don't
want a specific address.�Do you mean you want your instances IP
addresses to change when they are rebooted?�The current model allows
multiple DHCP servers from different subnets operate in the same
broadcast domain because MAC addresses are bound to specific DHCP
servers and they don't answer DHCP requests from arbitrary MAC addresses.�

As far as I can tell, you can create multiple Subnets each with DHCP
enabled and their own allocation pools, but only allocation pools from
the first subnet to be created will ever be used. To assign a port to a
different subnet, you need to specify a static IP.

No. I tried to point this out in my first email. When creating a port,
use the subnet_id parameter after --fixed-ip to specify which subnet to
connect to. For example:
*neutron port-create some_network --fixed-ip
subnet_id=a512cdd3-489d-4317-a06b-10cf894cff5d*

That will dynamically allocate it an address from the specified subnet
instead of the first one.

Oh! So you can assign the subnet by passing a fixed_ips section, even though you don't want a fixed IP, and just leaving out the ip_address:

  "fixed_ips": [
    {
      "subnet_id":"a512cdd3-489d-4317-a06b-10cf894cff5d",
    }
  ],

Thanks for pointing this out. I don't know what kind of historical process produced that API, but I hope it's obvious to everyone how completely bizarre this is - that passing the --fixed-ip option not only has this side effect but actually doesn't even necessarily allocate a fixed IP.

Something like this would make a lot more sense:

  "subnets": [
    {
      "subnet_id": "a512cdd3-489d-4317-a06b-10cf894cff5d",
    },
    {
      "subnet_id": "08eae331-0402-425a-923c-34f7cfe39c1b",
      "fixed_address": "10.0.0.3"
    }
  ],

I rechecked the documentation, and afaict there is not a single example of anywhere that "ip_address" doesn't appear in a "fixed_ips" entry. So Nachi was right, I guess that a docs fix could help here.

Putting 2+2 together (finally!) I realise now that there is probably no issue assigning multiple IP addresses (e.g. IPv4 + IPv6) to a port by assigning a single Port to multiple Subnets... that's not a phrase I could have wrapped my brain around at the beginning of the week :D

cheers,
Zane.