On Thu, Jun 12 2014, Matthew Booth wrote:

> We have a need for a distributed lock in the VMware driver, which I
> suspect isn't unique. Specifically it is possible for a VMware datastore
> to be accessed via multiple nova nodes if it is shared between
> clusters[1]. Unfortunately the vSphere API doesn't provide us with the
> primitives to implement robust locking using the storage layer itself,
> so we're looking elsewhere.

The tooz library has been created for this purpose:

  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/tooz

  https://git.openstack.org/cgit/stackforge/tooz/

> Although I haven't worked through the detail, I believe lock and unlock
> would be implementable in all 3 of the current service group drivers.
> Fencing would be implemented separately.

The plan is to leverage tooz to replace the Nova service group drivers,
as this is also usable in a lot of others OpenStack services.

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker