On 09/08/2014 11:12 AM, Mike Bayer wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2014, at 9:27 PM, Anita Kuno <ante...@anteaya.info> wrote:
>
>> On 09/07/2014 09:12 PM, Angus Salkeld wrote:
>>> Lets prevent blogs like this: http://jimhconsulting.com/?p=673 by making
>>> users happy.
>> I don't understand why you would encourage writers of blog posts you
>> disagree with by sending them traffic.
>
> silencing users who have issues with your project is a really bad idea.    If
> you want to create something great you absolutely need to be obsessed with
> your detractors and the weight of what they have to say.  Because unless they
> are a competitor engaged in outright slander, there will be some truth in it.
>   Ignore criticism at your peril.    Someone who takes the time to write out
> an even somewhat well reasoned criticism is doing your project a service.
>
> I found the above blog post very interesting as I’d like to get more data on
> what the large, perceived issues are.

Wow, we are really taking liberties with my question today.

What part of any of my actions current or previous have led you to
believe that I want to now or ever have silenced anyone? I am curious
what led you to believe that silencing users was the motivation for my
question of Angus.

I now see, through asking Angus for clarity which he did provide (not
silencing him, you will notice), that Angus' motivation was prevention
of poor user experience through better attention.

I am highly aware, particularly in the area in which I work - the third
party space- of the leading nature of behavioural training that takes
place particularly of new contributors and contributors who don't have
English as a first language of anything we ask or expect them to do.
Many times what seems to be a reasonable comment or expectation can be
taken completely out of context by folks who don't have English as a
first language and don't have the cultural context and filters that
English speakers have.

Actually my question was motivated from a user experience point of view,
the third party user, since I am only too aware of what kind of
questions and confusion many comments cause because the commenter
doesn't take the non-English speaker point of view into account.

By clarifying Angus' motivation with Angus, hopefully his meaning -
create better user experiences, and better relationships with users -
has come through.

And I agree with all of your points, which is why I take such pains to
create clarity on the mailing lists and other communication.

Thanks,
Anita.