On Sep 23, 2014, at 8:40 AM, Doug Hellmann <d...@doughellmann.com> wrote:

> If we are no longer incubating *programs*, which are the teams of people who
> we would like to ensure are involved in OpenStack governance, then how do we
> make that decision? From a practical standpoint, how do we make a list of
> eligible voters for a TC election? Today we pull a list of committers from
> the git history from the projects associated with “official programs", but if
> we are dropping “official programs” we need some other way to build the list.

Joe Gordon mentioned an interesting idea to address this (which I am probably
totally butchering), which is that we make incubation more similar to the ASF
Incubator. In other words make it more lightweight with no promise of
governance or infrastructure support.

It is also interesting to consider that we may not need much governance for
things outside of layer1. Of course, this may be dancing around the actual
problem to some extent, because there are a bunch of projects that are not
layer1 that are already a part of the community, and we need a solution that
includes them somehow.

Vish