I believe heat has its own dependency graph implementation but if that was
switched to networkx[1] that library has a bunch of nice read/write
capabilities.

See: https://github.com/networkx/networkx/tree/master/networkx/readwrite

And one made for sqlalchemy @ https://pypi.python.org/pypi/graph-alchemy/

Networkx has worked out pretty well for taskflow (and I believe mistral is also
using it).

[1] https://networkx.github.io/

Something to think about...