On 09/25/14 10:12, Qiming Teng wrote:
Yes, just about 3 VMs running on two hosts, for at most 3 weeks. This is leading me to another question -- any best practices/tools to retire the old data on a regular basis? Regards, Qiming

There is a tool: ceilometer-expirer

I tried to use it on a mysql database, since I had the same table size problem as you and it made the machine hit swap. I think it tries to load the whole table in memory. Just to see if it would eventually finish, I let it run for 1 week before throwing away the whole database and move on.

Now I use Ceilometer's pipeline to forward events to elasticsearch via udp + logstash and do not use Ceilometer's DB or API at all.

Best,
Daniele