Amidst all the discussion about layers and tents there has been this lurking issue about Docs and their need to prioritise work that we haven't really done a deep dive on yet. I'd like to start that discussion by summarising my understanding of the situation, and hopefully Anne and others can jump in and tell me what I've gotten horribly wrong.

AIUI back in the day, all of the documentation for OpenStack was handled in a centralised way by the Docs team. We can all agree that doesn't scale, and that was recognised early on during the project's expansion.

The current system is something of a hybrid model - for some subset of official projects considered "important", the Docs team is directly responsible; for the others, the project team has to write the documentation. The docs team is available to provide support and tools for other official projects.

It's not clear how "important" is currently defined... one suspects it's by date of accession ;)

The prospect of a much larger tent with many more projects in OpenStack-proper shines a spotlight on the scalability of the Docs team, and in particular how they decide which projects are "important" to work on directly.

There seems to be an implicit argument floating around that there are a bunch of projects that depend on each other and we need to create a governance structure around blessing this, rather than merely observing it as an emergent property of the gate, at least in part because that's the only way to tell the Docs team what is "important".

There are two problems with this line of thought IMHO. The obvious one is of course that the number of bi-directional dependencies of a project is not *in any way* related to how important it is to have documentation for it. It makes about as much sense as saying that we're only going to document projects whose names contain the letter 't'.

The second is that it implies that the Docs team are the only people in OpenStack who need the TC to tell them what to work on. Developers generally work on what they or their employer feels is important. If you see something being neglected you either try to help out or pass the word up that more resources are needed in a particular area. Is there any reason to think it wouldn't work the same with technical writers? Is anyone seriously worried that Nova will go undocumented unless the TC creates a project structure that specifically calls it out as important?

What I'm envisioning is that we would move to a completely distributed model, where the documentation for each project is owned by that project. People who care about the project being documented would either work on it themselves and/or recruit developers and/or technical writers to do so. The Docs program itself would concentrate on very high-level non-project-specific documentation and on standards and tools to help deliver a consistent presentation across projects. Of course we would expect there to be considerable overlap between the people contributing to the Docs program itself and those contributing to documentation of the various projects. Docs would also have a formal liaison program to ensure that information is disseminated rapidly and evenly.

Is there any part of this that folks don't think would work? How many projects could it scale to? Is there a reason we need the TC to bless a subset of projects, or is it reasonable to expect that individual docs contributors can select what is most important to work on in much the same way that most contributors do?

I know there are a lot of subtleties of which I have hitherto remained blissfully ignorant. Let's get those out in the open and get to the bottom of what impact, if any, the docs scaling issue needs to have on our governance structure.

cheers,
Zane.