On 03/12/2015 01:19 PM, Sampath, Lakshmi wrote:
We had a discussion with API WG today about what it means to be an "EXPERIMENTAL
API" and here's the takeway from that discussion.

All experimental means with regards to an API is "we reserve the right to completely abandon this or change it in backwards compatible ways".

- API's can be experimental, but mark it clearly in the docs as such

Sure.

- Experimental means a breaking change may be introduced
- Use /x1/ instead of /v1/  in the endpoint.

-1 on using "x1". I don't see the point, honestly. Code (in clients) doesn't know or care whether there is a difference in compatibility guarantee between "x1" and "v1". Humans do. Leave it up to the documentation to mark some API as experimental and just use /v1

Best,
-jay

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks