On 03/16/2015 10:56 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> On 17 March 2015 at 14:27, Ken'ichi Ohmichi <ken1ohmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I am worried about SDKs making requests that have additional JSON
>>> attributes that were previously ignored by v2, but will be considered
>>> invalid by the v2.1 validation code. If we were to just strip out the
>>> extra items, rather than error out the request (when you don't specify
>>> a microversion), I would be less worried about the transition. Maybe
>>> that what we do?
>>
>> Nice point.
>> That is a main difference in API behaviors between v2 and v2.1 APIs.
>> If SDKs pass additional JSON attributes to Nova API now, developers
>> need to fix/remove these attributes because that is a bug on SDKs
>> side.
>> These attributes are unused and meaningless, so some APIs of SDKs
>> would contain problems if passing this kind of attributes.
>>
>> Sometime it was difficult to know what are available attributes before
>> v2.1 API, so "The full monty approach" will clarify problems of SDKs
>> and make SDKs' quality better.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ken Ohmichi
>
> Better at the cost of forcing all existing users to upgrade just to
> keep using code of their own that already worked.
>
> Not really 'better' IMO. Different surely.
>
> We could (should) add Warning: headers to inform about this, but
> breaking isn't healthy IMO.

No, that's the point, *no* existing users are forced to upgrade. This is
going to require a manual change after your upgrade to get this new
default behavior, which we'll need to explain in the release notes.

This is not a code change, it's a sample config change.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net