From: Chmouel Boudjnah <chmo...@chmouel.com<mailto:chmo...@chmouel.com>>
Date: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 5:36 AM
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [kolla] Re: Why we didn't use k8s in kolla?

Hello,

So if I understand correctly Kubernetes was avoided since there is no control
point and using fig/docker-compose would get you a top to the bottom deployment
that easy to control.

That is one reason we stopped using kubernetes.  The second was it didn’t offer
super privileged container support, which we absolutely require.

Your right on the rationale for fig/docker-compose.

At this point is there any reasons not using something like ansible+docker
plugin instead? I have used extensively fig back in the days for an internal
project of mine and quickly come to its limitations with regard to caching and
redeployment (was keeping having to do fig ps -q|xargs -r docker stop || true )

Your right fig/docker compose seems to have problems when something from docker
daemon doesn’t do what it expects.  The bugs are really docker daemon bugs, for
example, see:
https://github.com/docker/compose/issues/812

As far as ansible, I think it would be fantastic to use ansible to deploy kolla
containers, and if I were making a deployment tool today, this is precisely
what I’d do.  Whether ansible used docker directly by looking at our fig files,
or compose, would be up to the author.  I think using fig would be preferrable
in case the composition needed to change for some technical reason.

Regards
-steve

Cheers,
Chmouel

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Steven Dake (stdake)