On 04/05/2015 11:21 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 04/05/2015 09:17 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
On 03/30/2015 03:16 AM, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
Hi,

I have the following scenario. I have an application consisting of
multiple VMs on different compute hosts. The admin puts one of the
hosts into maintenance mode (nova-manage service disable ...) because
there will  be some maintenance activity on that host in the near
future. Is there a way to  get a notification from Nova when a host
is put into maintenance mode? If it is not the case today would the
nova community support such an addition to Nova?

As a subsequent question is there a way for an external system to
listen to such a notification published on the message bus?

Hi Gibi!

I don't believe there is a notification currently sent when a service is
disabled. I agree this would be a good (and pretty easy) addition to
Nova.

Please feel free to add a blueprint in Launchpad. I don't see this as
needing a
full spec, really. It shouldn't be more than a few lines of code to
send a new
notification message.

Wouldn't a new notification message count as an API change?  Or are we
saying that it's such a small API change that any discussion can happen
in the blueprint?

(I'm trying to figure out how this relates to
"http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/devref/kilo.blueprints.html";
which says that any API change requires a spec.)

Hmm, good point. I think this is kinda borderline whether it's an API change, but probably best to be safe and submit a small spec. Thanks, Chris.

Also, if the notification messages are considered part of the API,
should they be versioned?

Personally, I believe they should, and I've said that on this mailing list before :)

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-January/054716.html

Best,
-jay