On 08/04/15 22:07, Michael Still wrote:

priorities and specs
===============

I think the current spec process is starting to work well for us, and
that priorities was a success. We should continue with specs, but with
an attempt to analyse why so many approved specs don’t land [...]

nova-net
=======

OMG, this is still a thing. We need to actually work out what we’re
doing here, and then do it. [...]

conclusion
========

I make no claim that my list is exhaustive. What else do you think we
should be tackling in Liberty?

Something kind of related to two of the strands above, from the point of view of someone who had an approved networking-related Nova spec that failed to land for Kilo...

Basically, should Nova try harder to get out of the networking business? Currently the situation is that OpenStack networking experimentation is mostly in Neutron (as I assume it should be) but also often requires changes to the VIF type code in Nova. Should we try to close off that situation, I would guess through some structural solution that puts all the required code changes firmly into Neutron's domain?

I don't want to prejudge what the solution might be. My point here is to suggest discussing and deciding whether this could be a worthwhile priority. If it sounds of interest, I could add something to the etherpad for Nova design session ideas.

(I appreciate that the nova-net question is way bigger and more practically important overall than my specific point about the VIF type code. However it is possible that the VIF type code contributes to a continuing lack of clarity about where networking function lies in OpenStack.)

Regards,
        Neil