On Mon, 13 Apr 2015, Robert Collins wrote:

In short, the proposal is that we:
- stop trying to use install_requires to reproduce exactly what
works, and instead use it to communicate known constraints (> X, Y is
broken etc).
- use a requirements.txt file we create *during* CI to capture
exactly what worked, and also capture the dpkg and rpm versions of
packages that were present when it worked, and so on. So we'll build a
git tree where its history is an audit trail of exactly what worked
for everything that passed CI, formatted to make it really really easy
for other people to consume.

That seems like an excellent idea. It provides a known good set of
requirements within a broader window. This is good because:

* It allows people who just needs things to work to have a correct
  base.
* Doesn't disable one of the best things about flexible requirements:
  post-release broadly based integration testing. This is the best
  thing about open source software: random bugs help drive
  improvement. If we constrain things too much we are not a healthy
  and contributing participant in the larger ecosystem that is
  sometimes called "using stuff" but is also "global integration
  testing".

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent