On 14/04/15 23:36, Dean Troyer wrote:
On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 7:02 AM, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo
<mangel...@redhat.com <mailto:mangel...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    Why would operators install from devstack? that’s not going to be
    the case.

If they do they need more help than we can give...

So, ummm, there is actually a valid use case for ops on devstack: it's part of the learning process.

In my rounds, I've had feedback from more than a few whose first OpenStack experience was to run up a devstack, so they could run ps aufx, brctl, iptables, etc just to see what was going on under the covers before moving on to something more 'proper'.

While acknowledging that the primary purpose and audience of devstack is and should remain development and developers, if there is something we can do to improve the experience for those ops first-timers that doesn't have a huge impact on devs, it would be kinda nice.

After all, one of the reasons this thread exists is because of problems with that ramp up process, no?

    I believe we should have both LB & OVS well tested, if LB is a good
    option for
    some operators willing to migrate from nova, that’s great, let’s
    make sure LB
    is perfectly tested upstream.

+1

    But by doing such change we can’t let OVS code rot and we would be
    neglecting
    a big customer base which is now making use of the openvswitch
    mechanism.
    (may be I’m miss understanding  the scope of the change).

Changing DevStack's default doesn't remove anything OVS-related, nor
does it by itself remove any OVS jobs.  It gives everyone who is happy
with nova-net (or more correctly doesn't think about it) a new default
that changes their experience the least for when nova-net disappears.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtro...@gmail.com <mailto:dtro...@gmail.com>