Hi Devstack people,

I have developed two devstack plugins (for neutron-lbaas and octavia), and I
think I am stretching the capabilities of the devstack plugin architecture.

Neutron-lbaas is the load balancer framework for OpenStack.  By default it uses
a fairly simple haproxy-based agent to actually perform its load balancing
tasks.  It has a devstack plugin that works well, all I need to do is add the
appropriate "enable_plugin" and "enable_service" lines to my local.conf and the
plugin code sets up everything nicely.  So far so good.

Octavia is a reference implementation (currently in stackforge) that will plug
in to neutron-lbaas and provide scalable, HA-capable load balancing agents
above and beyond the default implementation.  I have also written a devstack
plugin for Octavia, and it also works reasonably well (I still need to finish
up a few loose ends in it).   That plugin works well too, by adding the
appropriate enable_plugin and enable_service entries to local.conf.

So adding this:

enable_plugin neutron-lbaas https://git.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-lbaas
enable_plugin octavia https://git.openstack.org/stackforge/octavia
enable_service q-lbaasv2
enable_service octavia
enable_service o-cw
enable_service o-hk
enable_service o-hw

to my local.conf results in a working lbaasv2/Octavia devstack.

Now what I would like to do is automate as much of this Octavia-specific
information as possible in neutron-lbaas.   In principle, if I could specify

enable_plugin neutron-lbaas https://git.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-lbaas
enable_service q-lbaasv2
enable_service octavia

All there remaining knowledge could be written into neutron-lbaas/devstack.  So
I tried this, and added code to the neutron-lbaas plugin.sh that enabled the
Octavia plugin and services.

I have tried running "enable_plugin octavia ...."  from various points in the
neutron_lbaas/devstack/plugin.sh, but it appears that by the time we begin
that could be made to work, or does it sound too fragile, dangerous, etc?

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Al