We recently ran into an issue where nova couldn't write an image file due to lack of space and so just quit reading from glance.

This caused glance to be stuck with an open file descriptor, which meant that the image consumed space even after it was deleted.

I have a crude fix for nova at "https://review.openstack.org/#/c/188179/"; which basically continues to read the image even though it can't write it. That seems less than ideal for large images though.

Is there a better way to do this? Is there a way for nova to indicate to glance that it's no longer interested in that image and glance can close the file?

If I've followed this correctly, on the glance side I think the code in question is ultimately glance_store._drivers.filesystem.ChunkedFile.__iter__().

Chris