On 06/08/2015 08:32 AM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> The "control files" (specs, deb) are indeed different, the question is
> what they can share.
>
> I see collaboration possibilities on package names and layout - like how
> to split a package up -, configuration files, defaults... This doesn't
> need to be a first step but something to consider when packaging new
> repositories.

Agreed.

However, RPM packaging came later, and decided to prefix each server
project with "openstack-". Also, RPM packages understand upper/lower
case, when the deb format explicitly forbids it.

So we'd have to have some kind of change in the policy for RPM packages
to happen first, before we have the same package names. I don't see how
this can happen.

As for splitting-up a package into multiple ones, this is more or less
dictated by upstream (for example: sahara-api & sahara-engine are the 2
daemons so we do 2 packages).

So all together, I don't see much we could do that we don't already.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)