On 09/06/15 15:28, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 03:07:51PM +0100, Neil Jerram wrote:

Secondly there is the VIF plug script idea, and it's here that the elephant
may be.  I'm afraid that some of the interested people (including me) missed
it, but I heard that the core team discussed this and expressed concern, in
one of the Vancouver sessions, about 'not wanting Nova to become a
pass-through API'.  Since then, spec work has continued, but the only core
input has come from Dan PB, who wasn't in that Vancouver session - so I'm
worried that the Nova core team as a whole might not support this idea, and
that the ongoing spec refinement might turn out to be rearranging the deck
chairs on the Titanic.

As you said, I wasn't there, so I don't know what the objections were, but
I'm personally not supportive of adding any new VIF types until we have
the VIF plugging script work done. This concept is critical to preventing
the further explosion in the number of VIF types we need, and in allowing
vendors to add new neutron mechanisms without always requiring a lock-step
update to Nova.

So from that POV I think the VIF script thing needs to be the #1 priority
wrt VIF driver work in Nova/libvirt for Liberty.

Thanks for such a quick and clear steer, Dan!

So, the next thing is that we really need to understand that 'not wanting Nova to become a pass-through API' concern that was reportedly expressed by other core team members in Vancouver. What was that concern, and does it apply to the VIF script spec [1] as it is now?

Thanks,
        Neil

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/162468/