On 06/11/15 at 01:17pm, Jay Pipes wrote:
Replying to openstack-dev ML, which is where this question belongs.

On 06/11/2015 11:10 AM, Silvia Fichera wrote:
Hi all,
I have to add a table to Nova DB (I will populated it statically by now).
I found this post:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19424901/how-to-add-a-table-in-nova-database-openstack
But since it is a little bit "old" I need to know if there are any
changes and if it is the right way to follow.
In this table I want to report network stats information (latency,
badwidth, etc.). By now I want to insert manually those data.

I know this is going to sound harsh, but you should not be extending Nova's database in any way outside of submissions to the upstream Nova codebase.

+1. If a future Nova database change would happen to conflict with a local database change you are not going to enjoy resolving that.

In the Nova deployment I help manage we have made a lot of local modifications to the code for our business purposes, but we have never and will never touch the database outside of upstream for that reason.

What it sounds like you want to do is to publish network statistics (bandwidth/IO in and out of VMs) about your instances. If that is correct, you should probably look to the Ceilometer project to meet your needs.

Best,
-jay