From: Gorka Eguileor [mailto:gegui...@redhat.com]
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2015 11:38 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Cinder] A possible solution for HA Active-Active

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 07:01:45PM +1000, Morgan Fainberg wrote:
> Lets step back away from tooz. Tooz for the sake of this conversation is as
> much the same as saying zookeeper or consul or etcd, etc. We should be
> focused (as both Flavio and Thierry said) on if we need DLM and what it will
> solve.

What do you mean we should be focused on if we need a DLM and what it will
solve?

I don't know what you mean, as those answers are quite clear:

- The DLM replaces our current local file locks and extends them among
  nodes, it does not provide any additional functionality.

- Do we need a DLM?  Need is a strong word, if you are asking if we can
  do it without a DLM, then the answer is yes, we can do it without it.
  And if you ask if it will take more time than using a DLM and has the
  potential to introduce more bugs, then the answer is yes as well.

- Will we keep using a DLM forever?  No, we will change the DLM locks
  with DB mutual exclusion at the API nodes later.

Gorka.