On 01/09/2015 12:10 PM, Julien Danjou wrote:
On Tue, Sep 01 2015, gord chung wrote:

but if it's not actually cumulative in Ceilometer (pre-storage), should we
really be tagging it as such?
We only have 3 meters type, and the cumulative definition I wrote
somewhere back in 2012 states that it can reset to 0. Sorry. :-)

we shouldn't redefine real words -- no one reads definitions for words they already know... also, i'm not sure the 'reset to 0' definition is easily accessible (i'm not sure where it exists) :-\

so i was thinking rather than modify the existing meter, we build a new
cpu.delta meter, which is gives the delta. it seems like giving a delta meter
would make the behaviour more consistent.
…with data loss if you restart the polling agent and it then ignores the
previous value of the meter.

Except if you connect the polling system to the previous state of the
meter, which requires to either:
1. Connect the polling system to the storage system
2. Store locally the latest value you fetched

Option 1 sounds crazy, option 2 sounds less crazy, but still hackish.

Whereas having a system that can compute the delta afterward with all
the value at its reach sounds way better – that's why I'm in favor of
doing that in the storage system (e.g. Gnocchi).

i realise now we're just rehashing the same topic from 3 years ago[1]. it seemed like the issue then was we couldn't scale out multiple notification consumers... which we can now.

i agree that (1) is bad. (2) has potential data loss on agent restart... that said, you already have data loss regardless as when you poll 'cumulative' meter, the cputime between poll cycles is loss during restart. if you handle this at storage level, every subsequent sample will be be off by an arbitrary amount after each restart where the delta solution, you'll only be off a single sample whenever instance/agent restarts.

[1]http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2012-November/003297.html

--
gord