I was giving a devstacked version of Magnum a try last week, and from a new user standpoint, I hit a big roadblock that caused me a lot of confusion. Here's my story:

I was attempting to create a pod in a k8s bay, and I provided it with an sample manifest from the Kubernetes repo. The Magnum API then returned the following error to me:

ERROR: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'host' (HTTP 500)

I hunted down the error to be occurring here [1]. The k8s_api call was going bad, but conductor was continuing on anyways thinking the k8s API call went fine. I dug through the API calls to find the true cause of the error:

{u'status': u'Failure', u'kind': u'Status', u'code': 400, u'apiVersion': u'v1beta3', u'reason': u'BadRequest', u'message': u'Pod in version v1 cannot be handled as a Pod: no kind "Pod" is registered for version "v1"', u'metadata': {}}

It turned out the error was because the manifest I was using had apiVersion v1, not v1beta3. That was very unclear by Magnum originally sending the 500.

This all does occur within a try, but the k8s API isn't throwing any sort of exception that can be caught by [2]. Was this caused by a regression in the k8s client? It looks like the original intention of this was to catch something going wrong in k8s, and then forward on the message & error code on to let the magnum API return that.

My question here is: does this classify as a bug? This happens in more places than just the pod create. It's changing around API returns (quite a few of them), and I don't know how that is handled in the Magnum project. If we want to have this done as a blueprint, I can open that up and target it for Mitaka, and get to work. If it should be opened up as a bug, I can also do that and start work on it ASAP.

[1] https://github.com/openstack/magnum/blob/master/magnum/conductor/handlers/k8s_conductor.py#L88-L108 [2] https://github.com/openstack/magnum/blob/master/magnum/conductor/handlers/k8s_conductor.py#L94

Ryan Rossiter (rlrossit)