On 2015-09-15 6:49 PM, Doug Wiegley wrote:

>> On Sep 15, 2015, at 4:11 PM, Mathieu Gagné <mga...@internap.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 2015-09-15 2:00 PM, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
>>> We run several clouds where there are multiple external networks. the "just
>>> run it in on THE public network" doesn't work. :/
>>>
>>> I also strongly recommend to users to put vms on a private network and use
>>> floating ip's/load balancers. For many reasons. Such as, if you don't, the
>>> ip that gets assigned to the vm helps it become a pet. you can't replace
>>> the vm and get the same IP. Floating IP's and load balancers can help
>>> prevent pets. It also prevents security issues with DNS and IP's. Also, for
>>> every floating ip/lb I have, I usually have 3x or more the number of
>>> instances that are on the private network. Sure its easy to put everything
>>> on the public network, but it provides much better security if you only put
>>> what you must on the public network. Consider the internet. would you want
>>> to expose every device in your house directly on the internet? No. you put
>>> them in a private network and poke holes just for the stuff that does. we
>>> should be encouraging good security practices. If we encourage bad ones,
>>> then it will bite us later when OpenStack gets a reputation for being
>>> associated with compromises.
>>
>> Sorry but I feel this kind of reply explains why people are still using
>> nova-network over Neutron. People want simplicity and they are denied it
>> at every corner because (I feel) Neutron thinks it knows better.
>
> Please stop painting such generalizations.  Go to the third or fourth email
> in this thread and you will find a spec, worked on by neutron and nova, that
> addresses exactly this use case.
>
> It is a valid use case, and neutron does care about it. It has wrinkles. That
> has not stopped work on it for the common cases.

I've read the neutron spec you are referring (which I mentioned in my
email) and I'm glad the subject is discussed. This was not my intention
to diminish the work done by the Neutron team to address those issues. I
wrongly associate a person's opinion to a whole project, this is not
fair, I apologize for that.

Jeremy Stanley replied to Kevin with much better words than mine.

--
Mathieu