On 10/14/2015 11:14 AM, Zhenyu Zheng wrote:
I think it will be better if you can submit a spec for your proposal, it will be easier for people to give comment.

OK, will submit one soon.

Thanks.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 10:05 AM, Tang Chen <tangc...@cn.fujitsu.com <mailto:tangc...@cn.fujitsu.com>> wrote:

    Hi, all,

    Please help to review this BP.

    https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/live-migration-state-machine

    Currently, the migration_status field in Migration object is
    indicating the
    status of migration process. But in the current code, it is
    represented
    by pure string, like 'migrating', 'finished', and so on.

    The strings could be confusing to different developers, e.g. there
    are 3
    statuses representing the migration process is over successfully:
    'finished', 'completed' and 'done'.
    And 2 for migration in process: 'running' and 'migrating'.

    So I think we should use constants or enum for these statuses.

    Furthermore, Nikola has proposed to create a state machine for the
    statuses,
    which is part of another abandoned BP. And this is also the work
    I'd like to go
    on with. Please refer to:
    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/197668/
    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/197669/

    Another proposal is: introduce a new member named "state" into
    Migration.
    Use a state machine to handle this Migration.state, and leave
    migration_status
    field a descriptive human readable free-form.

    So how do you think ?

    Thanks.