On 10/28/2015 03:08 PM, McLellan, Steven wrote:
Hi,

One of our questions this summit for Searchlight is whether we can
reduce the time and effort required to index resources by getting as
much information from notifications as possible.

Nova's API and notifications provide data in different formats; some
information is missing and some is in different formats (1). In
addition, notification information isn't versioned and can change at
will. Currently we've taken the approach of treating the notification
as a sign that something has happened and that we should get current
state from the API.

We'd love to be able to process notifications directly, and have some
assurance that the format won't change drastically without warning.

This is why notification payloads need to be versioned. Until they are versioned, there can be no such guarantee.

See this thread for some more background:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-July/039858.html

Best,
-jay