On 10/30/2015 4:29 AM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
Maybe interesting for some of you as well,

Andreas

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [cloud-devel] Summit Report - Dirk
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 17:46:06 +0900
From: Dirk Müller <dmuel...@suse.com>
To: cloud-devel list <cloud-de...@suse.de>

Hi,

For the last week I’ve been at the OpenStack Summit in Tokyo. If there
is one major topic then it probably is Docker, Kubernetes and the
related projects on the OpenStack side.
For the first time Neutron was the most popular project rather than
Nova, and those sessions were generally the most crowded ones. NFV, SDN
are therefore also strong themes.

General impression is that given this happened in multiple hotels spread
across a campus it was much less crowded than the summits before, and
usually sessions were not so full that one couldn’t get in. That said of
course there were session where it was just impossible to get in. I
don’t know the overall attendee number but it was probably not lower
than Vancouver. Surprisingly when they asked in the keynote about first
time attendees vs first time japan visitors, there were many more hands
raised for first time japan visitors (like the majority of the room).

Basically it was very hard to walk around without stumbling over a Red
Hat employee. I was told over 250 employees attended this summit, which
felt higher than IBM. My impression was that attendance from HP was
lower than the years before. The HP cloud announcement probably was
causing that to some extend, as well as Rackspace raising their
attendance level quite a bit. Maybe it was also because RH employees got
asked to wear either RDO or Red Hat corporate branding shirts or hats
all the time. I did not have any SUSE branding with me since I had to
save the shirts from last year’s susecon for the susecon attendance next
week.

City and people are absolutely amazing, I think this got the 2nd spot on
the ranking of openstack summit locations just after vancouver.

I“ve had a couple of meetings related to Ruler of the Stack challenge.
The talk was reasonably well attended for a small room (maybe 50 - 60
people). Funny side stories are that Canonical seemed to have spent some
man weeks on preparing for the challenge but then only realized two days
beforehand that the competition will not happen this time. Similarly
there was a private attendee from Netherlands attending the Summit just
in order to „kick my butt“. He booked the flights and took holidays just
in order to win the challenge on his private expenses, and he bought 8
expensive Extremespeed USB drives preloaded with an image that he built
by himself (own bootloader, own OS, own package installer and so on,
based on RHEL7). From what he told me, he would probably have won
assuming he would have been able to comply to the rules since in a test
run on his own hardware he managed to install in 8 minutes or so.

We also had a long session with Michael from intel on defining the
future rules for the competition and got a lot of good ideas out of that
session.

I’ve not been attending many of the general track sessions since they’re
all recorded anyway. There was one about the release process changes for
OpenStack Mitaka that is probably a good time spent if you don’t know
about it already (done by TTX and dh).

There were a couple of good design sessions. In general my impression it
is that the decision less crazy than it was before, which is a good
thing. Particularly worth mentioning was the session about Live Upgrade
which was eye-opening to me. it looks like we’ll have plenty of fun to
do that when we’re skipping a release since nova’s implementation is
depending on customer to upgrade from N to N+1 to N+2. skipping a
release is unsupported. Tom and I discussed probably a few hours about
that during the summit already.

This is due to online data migrations which are a key part of live upgrade. Dan Smith has an excellent series of blog posts on that starting here [1].

Another interesting one was about keystone. There were btw several
keystone in big deployments/multi site talks that are very worth
watching. Major upcoming change is deprecation of v2 (which was
expected) and deprecation of PKI, since it has an unfixable severe
security bug. We should probably go switching to other backends
immediately, even for older products. It looks like they might move off
eventlet removal for another cycle although there is ongoing work to
integrate with nginx/wsgi, which seems to be a slightly saner choice
than apache2 as wsgi container. The reason on why they’re not removing
it is because eventlet is the easiest server to use for dockerized
openstack services.

Besides that I spent a lot of time on the „OpenStack RPM Packaging“
group that I’m currently PTLing. We’ve met with Haikel and Igor as well
as a couple of people from TripleO and Red Hat. Today I spent most of
the day helping Mirantis to fix their packaging so that they would be
able to switch to our common packaging. Luckily we got our first spec
file merged (after months of little to no progress) and started on
gating implementations.

The fishbowl session that I ran was well attended. Also from people
other than RH and Mirantis, and they’re all interested in being able to
have just RPM packaging that works and where they can throw in their own
downstream patches. After a couple of hours talking privately with the
RH guys it seems more clear though on why they’re not paying as much
attention on this as we’d have hoped though. Summary is since basically
everyone uses RDO anyway, they’re pursuing again the opportunity of
upstreaming RDO packages under the OpenStack Big Tent, making the
„Common Packaging“ project a competing project without any reason for
existance anymore (well, other for having packages that work on SUSE of
course).

The market place was very very big this time and very crowded, but very
boring. The same thing as usual happened: every 2nd if not more booth
had Ubuntu and RHEL partner logos and stickers and whitepapers and
merchandising crap from Red Hat and Ubuntu. SUSE was nonexistant at the
other booths. There was only one booth that I found with a SUSE logo and
that was Cavium (which was because we’re working closely together with
them on SUSE on ARM). Our SUSE booth was apparently well attended and
Aya, Peter, Ryo and more did an awesome job of running it.

Particularly worrisome was the density of NFV/SDN vendors that partner
with Red Hat. It feels like we already lost the Cloud/NFV marked due to
our inability to position ourselves there. Same is true for the Neutron
3rd party integration like the load balancers and related.
I had also a good meeting with Andy over dinner and he basically
confirmed that worst dreams could come true regarding Huawei. Red Hat
basically gave them the blanket check that without any questions asked
they will match whatever we offer at the same price or lower.

Andreas Poeschl’s talk was mentioning SUSE positively. There were
several crapfest talks about Mirantis vs RHOSP or Juju against the rest
or Chef vs Ansible or Salt vs Puppet and the like. if you like those
kind of talks they’re interesting. I was in the Mirantis vs RHOSP talk
and I just loved how the last row lost the red hats (which was filled by
Red Hat employees wearing at the beginning of the talk their red hats,
but with the middle and end not anymore, but rather looking calm and
quiet and trying to not be noticed anymore).

Very exhausted about to leave tokyo tomorrow morning.

Greetings,
Dirk

[1] http://www.danplanet.com/blog/2015/10/05/upgrades-in-nova-the-details/

Matt Riedemann