On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Steven Hardy <sha...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 03:35:13PM -0800, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> >    On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Zane Bitter <zbit...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >      On 30/11/15 12:51, Ruby Loo wrote:
> >
> >        On 30 November 2015 at 10:19, Derek Higgins <der...@redhat.com
> >        <mailto:der...@redhat.com>> wrote:
> >
> >        Â  Â  Hi All,
> >
> >        Â  Â  Â  Â  Â A few months tripleo switch from its devtest based
> CI to
> >        one
> >        Â  Â  that was based on instack. Before doing this we anticipated
> >        Â  Â  disruption in the ci jobs and removed them from non tripleo
> >        projects.
> >
> >        Â  Â  Â  Â  Â We'd like to investigate adding it back to heat and
> >        ironic as
> >        Â  Â  these are the two projects where we find our ci provides the
> >        most
> >        Â  Â  value. But we can only do this if the results from the job
> are
> >        Â  Â  treated as voting.
> >
> >        What does this mean? That the tripleo job could vote and do a -1
> and
> >        block ironic's gate?
> >
> >        Â  Â  Â  Â  Â In the past most of the non tripleo projects tended
> >        ignore
> >        Â  Â  the results from the tripleo job as it wasn't unusual for
> the
> >        job to
> >        Â  Â  broken for days at a time. The thing is, ignoring the
> results of
> >        the
> >        Â  Â  job is the reason (the majority of the time) it was broken
> in
> >        the
> >        Â  Â  first place.
> >        Â  Â  Â  Â  Â To decrease the number of breakages we are now no
> longer
> >        Â  Â  running master code for everything (for the non tripleo
> projects
> >        we
> >        Â  Â  bump the versions we use periodically if they are working).
> >        Â  Â  believe with this model the CI jobs we run have become a lot
> >        more
> >        Â  Â  reliable, there are still breakages but far less frequently.
> >
> >        Â  Â  What I proposing is we add at least one of our tripleo jobs
> back
> >        Â  Â  both heat and ironic (and other projects associated with
> them
> >        e.g.
> >        Â  Â  clients, ironicinspector etc..), tripleo will switch to
> running
> >        Â  Â  latest master of those repositories and the cores approving
> on
> >        those
> >        Â  Â  projects should wait for a passing CI jobs before hitting
> >        approve.
> >        Â  Â  So how do people feel about doing this? can we give it a
> go? A
> >        Â  Â  couple of people have already expressed an interest in doing
> [...]

Great example, Steve, and I agree that more and faster feedback from users
into patches is a good thing. I'm also sad that it was broken for that long
and no one raised the issue in our meeting until this week.

This particular bug highlights a gap in Ironic's test coverage which I
would be delighted if someone wants to close -- that we aren't testing
support for RH-based distros. Closing that gap doesn't require TripleoCI at
all; we should simply add a dsvm job for Ironic on Fedora, using a
Fedora-based ramdisk. That will help prevent similar regressions in the
future.

Anyway, I have big reservations about putting TripleoCI on a path to ever
gating Ironic patches. I started to bikeshed on that and then deleted it
... tldr; I believe it is important for this job to vote in a non-gating
way. As a reviewer, I'm unlikely to pay attention to it if it doesn't vote,
and there's a good reason for this:

Non-voting jobs are used for experimentation. A non-voting job is a job
that we want to vote, but which we don't trust enough yet. It has been
promoted from the experimental pipeline to the check pipeline so that it
gets a lot more runs and so that we can stabilize it enough to make it
voting.

I was going to suggest that tripleoci vote as a third party CI system (I
know, it's not actually a third-party CI system, but I'd like to vote like
one). And then I noticed that it used to do just that. [0] If I'm
interpreting it correctly, the "gate-tripleo-ironic*" jobs voted from a
separate account, left an informative -1, but did not block the gate.
That's exactly what I would like in this case.

Cheers,
-Devananda

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/184402/