> On 3 Dec 2015, at 13:37, Thomas Goirand <z...@debian.org> wrote:
> I've filed a bug against our docs theme, but it was marked as wontfix,
> and the patch which I started, was reviewed negatively. I've been told
> that we use Google Analytics for the openstack.org site, which I don't
> think is the right answer. I do believe we should think twice here.
> There are many alternative options to google analytics, such as web log
> analysis (webalizer, and such), and others involving local javascript of
> the same type as google analytics but without the privacy breach.
> There's ways to serve website-wide footers too (mod_footer for Apache
> for example). So I do believe there's better approaches to "we want
> statistic for openstack.org" than just Google Analytics.
>
> So, could we have a general policy that we stop having such external
> resources in our documentations? What's the broader view of the
> community on this issue?

For Google Analytics, it’s entirely possible to make including the GA data
conditional based on an environment variable. This would actually be a net-win,
because it would ensure that the GA data accurately reflected the usage only on
openstack.org. For example, the Alabaster sphinx theme does this based on
configuration from conf.py, which could easily be set based on the
presence/absence of an environment variable.

This would solve Debian’s problem with GA at the very least, while allowing
openstack.org to continue to use the tool they choose to use to analyse their
traffic.

Cory