I think I just answered my own question ;) I looked at the blog post Markus provided in another part of this thread and it looks like "Skimming Duty" means both tag the bugs and the triaging step of confirming them such that they should no longer be in "New" status after you've touched them. I was confused because when I was looking at bugs in Launchpad, many had been tagged but left as "New" thus my need for clarification. Markus' blog post [1] is more clear than than the wiki on the triage expectations.

Also, Anthony, you can follow the instructions in Markus' original post. Just edit the wiki page and add your name to the table. The best irc channel for nova issues is #openstack-nova. You might want to see the Nova How to Get Involved document [2].

[1] http://markuszoeller.github.io/posts/openstack-bugs/#status-and-contributor-responsibility
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/how_to_get_involved.html