On 02/18/2016 04:39 PM, Dolph Mathews wrote:

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Thomas Goirand <z...@debian.org
<mailto:z...@debian.org>> wrote:

    Hi,

    I've seen Reno doing it, then some more. It's time that I raise the
    issue globally in this list before the epidemic spreads to the whole of
    OpenStack ! :)

    The last occurence I have found is in oslo.config (but please keep in
    mind this message is for all projects), which has, its
    doc/source/conf.py:

    git_cmd = ["git", "log", "--pretty=format:'%ad, commit %h'",
                "--date=local","-n1"]
    html_last_updated_fmt = subprocess.check_output(git_cmd,
                                                     stdin=subprocess.PIPE)

Probably a dumb question, but why do you need to build the HTML docs
when you're building a package for Debian?

Sphinx builds in many formats, not just HTML, and includes among others man page format which is probably relevant to a Debian package.

    Of course, the .git folder is *NOT* available when building a package in
    Debian (and more generally, in downstream distros). This means that this
    kind of joke *will* break the build of the packages when they also build
    the docs of your project. And consequently, the package maintainers have
    to patch out the above lines from conf.py. It'd be best if it wasn't
    needed to do so.

    As a consequence, it is *not ok* to do "git log" anywhere in the sphinx
    docs. Please keep this in mind.

    More generally, it is wrong to assume that even the git command is
    present. For Mitaka b2, I had to add git as build-dependency on nearly
    all server packages, otherwise they would FTBFS (fail to build from
    source). This is plain wrong and makes no sense. I hope this can be
    reverted somehow.

    Thanks in advance for considering the above, and to try to see things
    from the package maintainer's perspective,
    Cheers,

    Thomas Goirand (zigo)