Tim Bell wrote:
On 22/02/16 17:27, "John Garbutt" <j...@johngarbutt.com> wrote:
[...]
I am sure there are more questions that will pop up. Like I assume
this means there is no ATC free pass to the summit? And I guess a
small nominal fee for the contributor meetup (like the recent ops
meetup, to help predict numbers of accurately)? I guess that helps
level the playing field for contributors who don't put git commits in
the repo (I am thinking vocal operators that don't contribute code).
But I probably shouldn't go into all that just yet.

I would like to find a way to allow contributors cheaper access to the summits.
Many of the devOPS contributors are patching test cases, configuration
management recipes and documentation which should be rewarded in some form.

Assuming that many of the ATCs are not so motivated to attend the summit, the
cost in offering access to the event would not be significant.

Charging for the Ops meetups was, to my understanding, more to confirm
commitment to attend given limited space.

Thus, I would be in favour of a preferential rate for contributors (whether ATC
is the right criteria is a different question) for summits.

Current thinking would be to give preferential rates to access the main summit to people who are present to other events (like this new separated contributors-oriented event, or Ops midcycle(s)). That would allow for a wider definition of "active community member" and reduce gaming.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)