Excerpts from Jan Klare's message of 2016-02-25 17:43:19 +0100:

> > On 25 Feb 2016, at 15:54, Doug Hellmann <d...@doughellmann.com> wrote:
> >
> > Excerpts from Jan Klare's message of 2016-02-25 15:29:08 +0100:

> >> I do not think that the other suggestion of two different events solves
> >> the issues, but instead moves it to another suboptimal timing issue.

> >> I don’t think that the suggestion here was to create an event spanning two
> >> full weeks. As far as i understand it, the OpenStack summit itself would
> >> span nearly the exact same time as before and maybe even less if you
> >> decide that you do not want to attend the main summit (or only a part of
> >> it), but just the design one (or only a part of it). In addition to that,
> >> i think the suggestion of 3 days in the first week and 3 days in the
> >> following one is just something we can start a discussion about. I think
> >> it would be enough to just have a 2 day main event (maybe Monday and
> >> Tuesday) and schedule the design summit with 2 or 3 days directly after
> >> that (Wednesday to Thursday or Friday).
> >
> > For most folks the summit now is a work week + 2 days for travel
> > on either side of it, or at least 7 days (some of us travel further
> > than others). Spreading it across 7 full days like this would mean
>
> I do not understand the 7 days you mention here, since i suggested an event
> starting Monday and ending Friday, which would mean a total of 5 days. Adding
> the travel time of two days, means we end up with a total of 7 days, which is
> exactly the work week you mentioned.

The original proposal started on a Wednesday and ended on a Wednesday,
and I should have been more clear that I was responding to that.

Your proposal of 2 days followed by 3 is what we did before the
contributor portion of the summit needed to grow to allow for more
projects. I think 3 days won't be enough time to be effective.

> > at least 9 days for anyone who needs to be present for the entire
> > event. Given that many technical folks do also need to be present
> > for the conference portion of the event to meet with customers, I
> > think there would likely be quite a few folks for whom this would
> > turn into a very long, tiring, trip where productivity would drop off
> > steeply near the middle.
> >
> > As Thierry pointed out, it's a bit questionable whether there's
> > actually much savings for participants with the extended event.
> > Anyone attending only one half will still need to fly to and stay
> > in the more expensive venues we're using now, so they save nothing.
> > Anyone attending both halves may save the cost of one airline ticket,
> > unless they're going to mid-cycles which we wouldn't be able to
> > eliminate. In which case extending the event *increases* their costs
> > because they end up staying in the more expensive hotel for more
> > nights.
>
> The difference in nights in comparison to the current summit of 4 days + 2
> days travel would be just one night and i do not think than one night in a
> hotel is more expensive than the expenses for a completely separate event.

The math works, but the shortened contributor event schedule does not.

Doug