On 04/05/2016 09:06 PM, Dan Prince wrote:
On Sat, 2016-04-02 at 17:28 -0400, Adam Young wrote:
I finally have enough understanding of what is going on with Tripleo
reasonably discuss how to implement solutions for some of the main
security needs of a deployment.

FreeIPA is an identity management solution that can provide support
for:

1. TLS on all network communications:
     A. HTTPS for web services
     B. TLS for the message bus
     C. TLS for communication with the Database.
2. Identity for all Actors in the system:
    A.  API services
    B.  Message producers and consumers
    C.  Database consumers
    D.  Keystone service users
3. Secure  DNS DNSSEC
4. Federation Support
5. SSH Access control to Hosts for both undercloud and overcloud
6. SUDO management
7. Single Sign On for Applications running in the overcloud.

The main pieces of FreeIPA are
1. LDAP (the 389 Directory Server)
2. Kerberos
3. DNS (BIND)
4. Certificate Authority (CA) server (Dogtag)
5. WebUI/Web Service Management Interface (HTTPD)

Of these, the CA is the most critical.  Without a centralized CA, we
have no reasonable way to do certificate management.
Would using Barbican to provide an API to manage the certificates make
more sense for our deployment tooling? This could be useful for both
undercloud and overcloud cases.
Barbican is not a CA. However, it can use the KRA deployed with Dogtag to store its secrets, so this actually supports Barbican nicely.

As for the rest of this, how invasive is the implementation of
FreeIPA.? Is this something that we can layer on top of an existing
deployment such that users wishing to use FreeIPA can opt-in.
Yep. The big thing it gives you is the Cert management, and I don't want to rewrite that, but the rest can stay out of the way.

I do suspect that, once it is there, we will want to use more of IPA, but that is not the goal.

Now, I know a lot of people have an allergic reaction to some, maybe
all, of these technologies. They should not be required to be running
in
a development or testbed setup.  But we need to make it possible to
secure an end deployment, and FreeIPA was designed explicitly for
these
kinds of distributed applications.  Here is what I would like to
implement.

Assuming that the Undercloud is installed on a physical machine, we
want
to treat the FreeIPA server as a managed service of the undercloud
that
is then consumed by the rest of the overcloud. Right now, there are
conflicts for some ports (8080 used by both swift and Dogtag) that
prevent a drop-in run of the server on the undercloud
controller.  Even
if we could deconflict, there is a possible battle between Keystone
and
the FreeIPA server on the undercloud.  So, while I would like to see
the
ability to run the FreeIPA server on the Undercloud machine
eventuall, I
think a more realistic deployment is to build a separate virtual
machine, parallel to the overcloud controller, and install FreeIPA
there. I've been able to modify Tripleo Quickstart to provision this
VM.

I was also able to run FreeIPA in a container on the undercloud
machine,
but this is, I think, not how we want to migrate to a container
based
strategy. It should be more deliberate.

While the ideal setup would be to install the IPA layer first, and
create service users in there, this produces a different install
path
between with-FreeIPA and without-FreeIPA. Thus, I suspect the right
approach is to run the overcloud deploy, then "harden" the
deployment
with the FreeIPA steps.

The IdM team did just this last summer in preparing for the Tokyo
summit, using Ansible and Packstack.  The Rippowam project
https://github.com/admiyo/rippowam was able to fully lock down a
Packstack based install.  I'd like to reuse as much of Rippowam as
possible, but called from Heat Templates as part of an overcloud
deploy.  I do not really want to re implement Rippowam in Puppet.
As we are using Puppet for our configuration I think this is currently
a requirement. There are many good puppet examples out there of various
servers and a quick google search showed some IPA modules are available
as well.

I think most TripleO users are quite happy in using puppet modules for
configuration in that the puppet openstack modules are quite mature and
well tested. Making a one-off exception for FreeIPA at this point
doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, and I think I am fine with that. It just means I have to rewrite some stuff, and that makes sense in keeping thing consistent. Just figured I'd ask first before I had to star getting deep into Puppet.

So, big question: is Heat->ansible (instead of Puppet) for an
overcloud
deployment an acceptable path?  We are talking Ansible 1.0
Playbooks,
which should be relatively straightforward ports to 2.0 when the time
comes.

Thus, the sequence would be:

1. Run existing overcloud deploy steps.
2. Install IPA server on the allocated VM
3. Register the compute nodes and the controller as IPA clients
4. Convert service users over to LDAP backed services, complete with
necessary kerberos steps to do password-less authentication.
5. Register all web services with IPA and allocate X509 certificates
for
HTTPS.
6. Set up Host based access control (HBAC) rules for SSH access to
overcloud machines.

When we did the Rippowam demo, we used the Proton driver and
Kerberos
for securing the message broker.  Since Rabbit seems to be the tool
of
choice,  we would use X509 authentication and TLS for
encryption.  ACLs,
for now, would stay in the flat file format.  In the future, we
might
chose to use the LDAP backed ACLs for Rabbit, as they seem far more
flexible.  Rabbit does not currently support Kerberos for either
authentication or encryption, but we can engage the upstream team to
implement it if desired in the future, or we can shift to a Proton
based
deployment if Kerberos is essential for a deployment.

There are a couple ongoing efforts that will tie in with this:

1. Designate should be able to use the DNS from FreeIPA.  That was
the
original implementation.

2.  Juan Antonio Osorio  has been working on TLS everywhere.  The
issue
thus far has been Certificate management.  This provides a Dogtag
server
for Certs.

3. Rob Crittenden has been working on auto-registration of virtual
machines with an Identity Provider upon launch.  This gives that
efforts
an IdM to use.

4. Keystone can make use of the Identity store for administrative
users
in their own domain.

5. Many of the compliance audits have complained about cleartext
passwords in config files. This removes most of them.  MySQL
supports
X509 based authentication today, and there is Kerberos support in
the
works, which should remove the last remaining cleartext Passwords.

I mentioned Centralized SUDO and HBAC.  These are both tools that may
be
used by administrators if so desired on the install. I would
recommend
that they be used, but there is no requirement to do so.