On 4/15/2016 3:11 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
On Thu, Apr 14 2016, Joshua Harlow wrote:

Well not entirely IMHO. I think oslo should obviously be easy to use inside
openstack and as well outside, with preference to inside openstack (especially
for libraries that start with 'oslo.*'). When we can make it more useable
outside openstack (and without hurting the mission of openstack being the
primary target for 'oslo.*' libraries) then obviously we should try to do our
best to...

Will all the oslo.* libraries as they exist be forever perfect at a given point
in time, no. We can always do better, which is where the community comes in :)

I tend to agree with you Josh, though you might want to keep in mind
that OpenStack is now composed of 54 teams and even more projects. So at
this stage making libraries "for OpenStack" is going to become a very
vague definition as the need for generic code is going to increase.

As Sean and Michael and others have said, this is legacy code that could be cleaned up. I don't really care how, but however it's done it has to be transparent to consumers that we've made any kind of switch since we can't make a backward incompatible change in this behavior that's been around for a long time and is used for debugging.

Matt Riedemann