On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 8:04 PM, Adam Young <ayo...@redhat.com> wrote:

> We all want Fernet to be a reality.  We ain't there yet (Except for mfish
> who has no patience) but we are getting closer.  The goal is to get Fernet
> as the default token provider as soon as possible. The review to do this
> has uncovered a few details that need to be fixed before we can do this.

I exist to beta test for you!

> Trusts for V2 tokens were not working correctly.  Relatively easy fix.
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/278693/ Patch is still failing on Python
> 3.  The tests are kindof racy due to the revocation event 1 second
> granularity.  Some of the tests here have A sleep (1) in them still, but
> all should be using the time control aspect of the unit test fixtures.
>
> Some of the tests also use the same user to validate a token as that have,
> for example, a role unassigned.  These expose a problem that the revocation
> events are catching too many tokens, some of which should not be treated as
> revoked.
>
> Also, some of the logic for revocation checking has to change. Before, if
> a user had two roles, and had one removed, the token would be revoked.
> Now, however, the token will validate successful, but the response will
> only have the single assigned role in it.
>

> Python 3 tests are failing because the Fernet formatter is insisting that
> all project-ids be valid UUIDs, but some of the old tests have "FOO" and
> "BAR" as ids.  These either need to be converted to UUIDS, or the formatter
> needs to be more forgiving.
>
> Caching of token validations was messing with revocation checking. Tokens
> that were valid once were being reported as always valid. Thus, the current
> review  removes all caching on token validations, a change we cannot
> maintain.  Once all the test are successfully passing, we will re-introduce
> the cache, and be far more aggressive about cache invalidation.

Which review removes this, the one above?

> Tempest tests are currently failing due to Devstack not properly
> identifying Fernet as the default token provider, and creating the Fernet
> key repository.  I'm tempted to just force devstack to always create the
> directory, as a user would need it if they ever switched the token provider
> post launch anyway.

Wouldn't devstack handle the same way it might call keystone manage
bootstrap or db_sync? Devstack could just call fernet_setup if that's the
configured provider?

Also I know that there is a session on this at the summit too, but for me,
I want Fernet validation to be faster. I know work is underway for this in
Newton, but I'd consider adding it to the to-do pile.