Hi,

I'm looking into supporting and testing Elasticsearch 2.x in Searchlight's test
jobs. Currently I don't know of any other projects that run tests against
Elasticsearch in the gate (since we had to add it to Jenkins [1]). Several
projects install the python elasticsearch client in requirements.txt, and it is
currently capped to <2.0 in global-requirements [2], and others consume it
directly through HTTP requests. Searchlight needs to move to support
Elasticsearch 2.x in Newton but we are aware that doing so will affect other
projects.

Elasticsearch 2.x is backwards incompatible [3] with 1.x in some ways. The
python client library is similarly backwards-incompatible; it is strongly
recommended the client major version matches the server major version. In
testing Searchlight we found only a couple of fairly minor changes were needed
(and the 1.x client library seems to continue to work against a 2.x server) ,
but YMMV. Devstack's default ES version is 1.4.2 [4] (which should be changed
to 1.7 in any case) and we obviously cannot change that until all projects
support 2.x.

A wholesale change to move to Elasticsearch 2.x would require changing
global-requirements, but this may obviously break projects not ready for the
change. My questions for the projects affected are:

* Have you tested with ES 2.x at all?
* Do you have plans to move to ES 2.x?

Our likely fallback is testing with the 1.x client until we can move devstack
and global-requirements to 2.x; if we discover issues in the meantime we will
include a deployer note that the python library needs to be updated if
Elasticsearch 2.x is in use.

Thanks,

Steve

[1]