On 04/19/2016 11:30 AM, Ian Cordasco wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> That's what everyone says, but I'm convinced the majority will be
>>> proven wrong! :)
>> [...]
>>
>> Could just be that my beard has gotten a little too grey, but I
>> still very much prefer using stabilized software packaged by
>> traditional Linux distributions or similar Unix derivatives and
>> covered under security patched backports. My hope has always been
>> that as the rapid pace of development at the center of OpenStack
>> starts to cool (and as the press moves on and OpenStack becomes a
>> lot more boring to talk about), we'll approach the sort of ecosystem
>> stabilization needed to make that less awkward downstream.
>
> Perhaps my beard is not grey enough, but as a developer and maintainer of
> several of OpenStack's dependencies (some of which have needed security
> backports) I've argued with different downstream distributors about their own
> judgment of what portions of the patch to apply in order to fix an issue with
> an assigned CVE. It took much longer than should have been necessary in at
> least one of those cases where it did affect OpenStack, so perhaps I am too
> confident in my ability to use tooling outside of distribution provided
> packages but to date I've had better luck using the source with the
> *complete* fixes.

Well, as one of those downstream packagers I hope I'm not in that list.
 This is my ordering of how I try and remediate a sec issue.

1. I try to apply the entire patch to affected versions.
2. If that doesn't work and I can remove the bad versions I do that.
3. If that doesn't work I have to start getting creative :D

--
-- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)