Michael Krotscheck wrote:
So, HPE is seeking sponsors to continue the core party. The reasons are
varied - internal sponsors have moved to other projects, the Big Tent
has drastically increased the # of cores, and the upcoming summit format
change creates quite a bit of uncertainty on everything surrounding the
summit.

Furthermore, the existence of the Core party has been... contentious.
Some believe it's exclusionary, others think it's inappropriate, yet
others think it's a good way to thank those of use who agree to be
constantly pestered for code reviews.

I'm writing this message for two reasons - mostly, to kick off a
discussion on whether the party is worthwhile. Secondly, to signal to
other organizations that this promotional opportunity is available.

Personally, I appreciate being thanked for my work. I do not necessarily
need to be thanked in this fashion, however as the past venues have been
far more subdued than the Tuesday night events (think cocktail party),
it's a welcome mid-week respite for this overwhelmed little introvert. I
don't want to see it go, but I will understand if it does.

Some numbers, for those who like them (Thanks to Mark Atwood for
providing them):

Total repos: 1010
Total approvers: 1085
Repos for official teams: 566
OpenStack repo approvers: 717
Repos under release management: 90
Managed release repo approvers: 281

I think it's inappropriate because it gives a wrong incentive to become a core reviewer. Core reviewing should just be a duty you sign up to, not necessarily a way to get into a cool party. It was also a bit exclusive of other types of contributions.

Apparently in Austin the group was reduced to only release:managed repositories. This tag is to describe which repositories the release team is comfortable handling. I think it's inappropriate to reuse it to single out a subgroup of cool folks, and if that became a tradition the release team would face pressure from repositories to get the tag that are totally unrelated to what the tag describes.

So.. while I understand the need for calmer parties during the week, I think the general trends is to have less parties and more small group dinners. I would be fine with HPE sponsoring more project team dinners instead :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)