On 3 May 2016, at 12:19, Monty Taylor wrote:

> On 05/03/2016 01:45 PM, Michael Krotscheck wrote:
>> On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 9:03 AM John Dickinson <m...@not.mn
>> <mailto:m...@not.mn>> wrote:
>>

>>     As a starting point, what would you like to see addressed in the
>>     document I'm drafting?
>>

>> I'm going through this project with JavaScript right now. Here's some of
>> the things I've had to address:
>>
>> - Common language formatting rules (ensure that a pep8-like thing exists).
>> - Mirroring dependencies?
>> - Building Documentation
>
> Mirroring and building are the ones that we'll definitely want to work
> together on in terms of figuring out how to support. go get being able to
> point at any git repo for depends is neat - but it increases the amount of
> internet surface-area in the gate. Last time I looked (last year) there were
> options for doing just the fetch part of go get separate from the build part.
>
> In any case, as much info as you can get about the mechanics of downloading
> dependencies, especially as it relates to pre-caching or pointing build
> systems at local mirrors of things holistically rather than by modifying the
> source code would be useful. We've gone through a couple of design iterations
> on javascript support as we've dived in further.

Are these the sort of things that need to be in a resolution saying that it's
ok to write code in Golang? I'll definitely agree that these questions are
important, and I don't have the answers yet (although I expect we will by the
time any Golang code lands in Swift). We've already got the Consistent Testing
Interface doc[1] which talks about having tests, a coding style, and docs
(amongst other things). Does a resolution about Golang being acceptable need to
describe dependency management, build tooling, and CI?

--John

[1] http://governance.openstack.org/reference/project-testing-interface.html