On 05/19/2016 09:18 PM, Ben Nemec wrote:
On 05/17/2016 07:27 PM, Matt Fischer wrote:

     If config sample files are being used as a living document then that
     would be a reason to leave the deprecated options in there. In my
     experience as a cloud deployer I never once used them in that manner
     so it didn't occur to me that people might, hence my question to the
     list.

     This may also indicate that people aren't checking release notes as
     we hope they are. A release note is where I would expect to find
     this information aggregated with all the other changes I should be
     aware of. That seems easier to me than aggregating that data myself
     by checking various sources.

One way to think about this is that the config file has to be accurate
or the code won't work, but release notes can miss things with no
consequences other than perhaps an annoyed operator. So they are sources
of truth about the state options on of a release or branch.

On this note, I had another thought about an alternative way to handle
this.  What if we generated one sample file without deprecated opts, and
another with them (either exclusively, or in addition to all the other
opts)?  That way there's a deprecation-free version for new deployers
and one for people who want to see all the current deprecations.

I'm not sure if it is well known that the "configuration reference" manual provides a summary page of new, updated and deprecated config options at [1]. Also, the release notes have already a section to announce the deprecation of a config option and this should be the source of truth IMO. From Nova I can tell that it is part of the normal reviews to ensure that a reno file (with a good explanation) is part of the change when deprecating something (see a updated-per-commit version at [2]). Introducing yet another way of telling people what's deprecated would weaken the position of the release notes which I'd like to avoid.