Hi,

The full details are available at https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1590091 but the short version is this:

1) I'm running stable/mitaka in devstack. I've got a small system with 2 pCPUs, both marked as available for pinning. They're two cores of a single processor, no threads.

2) I tried to boot an instance with two dedicated CPUs and a thread policy of ISOLATE, but the NUMATopology filter fails my host.

In _pack_instance_onto_cores(), in _get_pinning() we have the following line:

        if threads_no * len(sibling_set) < len(instance_cores):
            return

Coming into this line of code the variables look like this:

(Pdb) threads_no
1
(Pdb) sibling_set
[CoercedSet([0, 1])]
(Pdb) len(sibling_set)
1
(Pdb) instance_cores
CoercedSet([0, 1])
(Pdb) len(instance_cores)
2

So the test evaluates to True, and we bail out.

I don't think this is correct, we should be able to schedule on this host since it has two full physical cores available.

Chris