On 06/22/2016 01:56 PM, Paul Michali wrote:
I did have a question about the current implementation as described by
292499, 324379, and 292500.

Looking at the code, when a NUMAPagesTopology object is create, a new
parameter is passed for the "reserved" pages. This reservation comes
from a dictionary, which is populated at LIbvirtDriver init time, via
grabbing the multi-string configuration settings from nova.conf. Because
the object's API is changed, a version change is required.

Is it possible to, instead of adding a new argument to reduce the
"total" argument (Ian Wells suggested this to me on a patch I had), by
the number of reserved pages from the config file? This would prevent
the need to alter the object's API.  So, instead of:

                 mempages = [
                     objects.NUMAPagesTopology(
                         size_kb=pages.size,
                         total=pages.total,
                         used=0,
                         reserved=_get_reserved_memory_for_cell(
                             self,cell.id <http://cell.id>, pages.size))
                     for pages in cell.mempages]

Do something like this...

  mempages = [

objects.NUMAPagesTopology( size_kb=pages.size, used=0, total=pages.total
- _get_reserved_memory_for_cell( self, cell.id <http://cell.id>,
pages.size)) for pages in cell.mempages]
If we do this, would it avoid issues with back porting the change?

Thanks!

PCM

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 5:52 PM Matt Riedemann
<mrie...@linux.vnet.ibm.com <mailto:mrie...@linux.vnet.ibm.com>> wrote:

    On 6/15/2016 3:10 PM, Paul Michali wrote:
     > Is the plan to back port that change to Mitaka?
     >
     > Thanks,
     >
     > PCM
     >

     > On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:31 PM Matt Riedemann
     > <mrie...@linux.vnet.ibm.com <mailto:mrie...@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
    <mailto:mrie...@linux.vnet.ibm.com
    <mailto:mrie...@linux.vnet.ibm.com>>> wrote:

     >     On 6/14/2016 3:09 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
     >     >
     >     > Yes. Code merged recently from Sahid does this:
     >     >
     >     > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/277422/
     >     >
     >     > Best,
     >     > -jay
     >     >

     >     That was actually reverted out of mitaka:
     >
     > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/292290/
     >
     >     The feature change that got into newton was this:
     >
     > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/292499/
     >
     >     Which was busted, and required:
     >
     > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/324379/
     >
     >     Well, required as long as you want your compute service to
    start. :)

     >     And no, we aren't backporting these, especially to liberty
    which is
     >     security / critical fix mode only now.
     >
     >     --
     >
     >     Thanks,