Swift has now used 4 feature branches and landed 3 of them:

 * feature/sp -- for storage policy functionality (landed)
 * feature/ec -- for erasure codes (landed)
 * feature/hummingbird -- for golang WIP
 * feature/crypto -- for at-rest encryption (landed)

Overall, using long-lived upstream feature branches has been very helpful for
us and overall a positive experience.

I've seen some other teams debate and discuss using a feature branch for their
work but wonder about how it works. I've written down our experiences with
using feature branches as part of OpenStack development, including some
recommendations that help things go smoothly.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Swift/feature_branches

If you've got questions about using feature branches, please feel free to drop
by #openstack-swift and ask.

--John