FWIW, option 2 is almost required unless we plan to be able to bundle multiple
environments with a single template. While having a single environment for a
single template can be useful, the even *more* useful scenario (and the primary
one driving the development of environments initially) is when you have options
as to how a template behaves (use Trove for the backend or pop vms and software
config to install a database). IMO, you'd want to de-couple environments from
the templates given that multiple environment could work for the same template.