Excerpts from Doug Wiegley's message of 2016-07-19 13:58:59 -0600:

> > On Jul 19, 2016, at 9:36 AM, Doug Hellmann <d...@doughellmann.com> wrote:
> >
> > Excerpts from Hayes, Graham's message of 2016-07-18 17:13:09 +0000:

> >> Yes - it has been pointed out the title is probably overloading a term
> >> just used for a different purpose - I am more than willing to change it.
> >>
> >> I wasn't sure where I got the name, and I realised that was probably in
> >> my head from that resolution.

> >> There is a correlation here - "special sauce" (not secret obviously)
> >> that only a subset of projects have access to.

> >> Yes, I agree we should not be competing. But was should not be asking
> >> the smaller projects to re-implement functionality, just because they
> >> did not get integrated in time.
> >>
> >> We require all projects to integrate with keystone for auth, as we
> >> require all projects to integrate with neutron for network operations
> >> and designate for DNS, I just see it as a requirement for using the
> >> other components of OpenStack for their defined purpose.
> >>

> > It would be useful to have some specific information from the QA/Tempest
> > team (and any others with a similar situation) about whether the current
> > situation about how differences between in-tree tests and plugin tests
> > are allowed to use various APIs. For example, are there APIs only
> > available to in-tree tests that are going to stay that way? Or is this
> > just a matter of not having had time to "harden" or "certify" or
> > otherwise prepare those APIs for plugins to use them?
>
> Doug, one example that I’m aware of — I’ve suggested moving neutron entirely
> out of devstack and into the neutron repo, via the devstack plugin interface.
> This was rejected, and the counter-argument given was that the folks that
> maintain the integrated gate, which happen to be many of the same folks
> maintaining devstack and the like, want to retain control of the items that
> can break the integrated gate, and that it gets too hard to track down
> individual project folks when the world is burning.
>
> I don’t personally agree with the decision, but I can see some merit in that
> argument.

Yes, this is one of the outcomes of being in a situation where other
projects require something as a dependency -- each side loses a little
control, and some centralization happens to ensure that we can maintain
the flow of work for OpenStack as a whole.

Doug